The next time you are at the grocery store back it up and take a look at this little root vegetable that is sometimes so easy to overlook. Usually surrounded by all the other greens. Beets are beautiful…well, okay maybe they are a little alien looking BUT the color of beets is beautiful!
Below are the simple directions for roasting beets. I am working on a recipe using pureed roasted beets and will be sharing that as soon!
- Thoroughly wash and remove the stems from the beets. Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil. Save the stems! You can saute those in some olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and build a foil fort for the beets.
- Roast for about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Once cool to the touch, peel the skin off.
- Since I am not ready to use my roasted beets I am going to puree them and transfer to the freezer. Roasted beets can be used for so many different recipes or just as they are. Get creative!
- And be prepared to get messy!!! That beautiful color can easily end up all over your kitchen, shirt, cutting board, child, dog….yes, that happened!
Stay tuned for more with these beets!